Saturday, October 19, 2013

The "Thing"


This is something I love : the Thing that doesn't serve any particular purpose !
This is a piece of the Opera House of Oslo, and I mean literally a piece of the building since it's a cutout of the marble blocks that where used to build the Opera.
Right now, I use it as a polaroid-photograph holder, but it also suits the purpose of paperweight from time to time.
I enjoy it's simple shape and I see it as a piece of inspiration : on one hand, it carries a little part of History in it, being a tiny part of a great architectural monument ; on the other, it represents how opera and ballet still play a "solid" part in our civilization. And the third (??) : you have to be a genious to actually turn your overage marble block into something lucrative ... Well done !

No comments:

Post a Comment